City Garden Condo Pattaya Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
City Garden Condo Pattaya Forum

Info and Issues about City Garden Condo in Pattaya

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poor UBC reception

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poor UBC reception Empty Poor UBC reception Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:20 pm

CraigT

I wanted UBC so I called them up. They came and said there was no signal. City Gardens came and ripped holes in the hallway ceiling and after a week or two of me bugging them, they said it was ready. UBC came again, signal too poor to work. They offered to help the City Garden engineer who refused their help.

I asked the UBC guys to measure the signal at the elevator shaft where if comes from the roof and they said there was plenty of signal there. I'm actually an electronics expert so I traced the signal from the elevator to my room using the holes in the ceiling.

While there is still time, we should force the issue with the developer and get proper satellite feeds to each condo. With Sophon coming, I'm not sure if they will have to run their own cabling but the current distribution method for UBC won't work for them.

The good news is that UBC did a very professional job of the satellite installation and the electronics associated with it.

Now satellite signals are not like the electricity for appliances. When you split electricity from two wires you have the same voltage but when you split satellite signals you have one half the power. From the elevator to my room the signal was split over 250 times so it would never work. Only units close to the elevator were going to get good signals.

What should be done, is in the elevator shaft for each floor a device called an active distribution amplifier should be installed. This generates 16 outputs at a boosted level. One cable can run to each condo and then a 2 way or 3 way splitter can provide the signal to the 2 or 3 outlets within the condo. These distribution devices are available here for about 4,600 Baht.

So I offered to buy one for my floor if the City Gardens engineer would install it. He said that they would just rip it out when they found it was plugged in. My solution was to give him 600 Baht so he could run a cable to my room and get me enough signal for UBC. As the floor fills up, that won't work for everyone.

2Poor UBC reception Empty Re: Poor UBC reception Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:50 am

Carlo Tresch

I had problems with my UBC installation too. They had to make a hole in the ceiling too to get a feed to my room. At the moment it works well, but there are only 2 people on my floor at the moment and I too am concerned how the connection will be effected as more people come in. This needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later. Having an active distribution amplifier on each floor seems to be a good solution.

3Poor UBC reception Empty UBC and Sophon Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 pm

CraigT

I'm going post updates on the Sophon cable thread.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum